Ulster Bank recently announced their intention to close the Ferbane branch . If this decision is allowed to go ahead, it will end 94 years of Ulster Bank’s involvement in this community.
Last Thursday up to 400 locals residents attended a public meeting determined and united in one goal:
KEEP ULSTER BANK OPEN.
At this meeting a Committee was formed which have since been doing a lot of work both on the ground and at political level:
A number of key points have come from this work and can be viewed below.
Ulster Bank have previously stated it would not close a branch in a town where it is the only Bank.
The residents of the West Offaly Area are expecting Ulster Bank to honour this commitment.
They have stated:
“Our community is UNITED and we have a MANDATE from the people in Ferbane who attended last Thursdays meeting. We are fighting back and we are telling Ulster Bank:
IF THIS DECISION IS NOT REVERSED , IT IS WE WHO WILL MOVE OUR ACCOUNTS ELSEWHERE !!”
“IF ULSTER BANK LEAVES WEST OFFALY WEST OFFALY WILL LEAVE ULSTER BANK”
A number of things that concerned customers or residents in the area can do to help this group in there cause was also advised:
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Phone Ulster Bank Freephone 1800 283 062
(lines open 8am to 10pm Mon to Sun)-
o Insist that they Honour their Commitment to keep open branches in towns without another bank
o Let them know the impact of closure on you, on your family, your business etc.
o Inform them that you WILL move your account to their competitors if closure goes ahead
(Remember, the personnel staffing these phone lines did not take the decision to close the bank- your views, no matter how strongly felt, are more effective when expressed respectfully)
- Phone the Athlone Branch at 090 647 2760 or any Ulster Bank Customer Service Number (instructions as above).
- Write to the local branch of Ulster Bank informing them of your dissatisfaction AND your intention to move to another bank if the closure goes ahead – sample letters available.
(Key Point– Ulster Bank’s decision is partially based on the belief that most account holders will not be prepared to undergo the inconvenience of transferring to another bank- let them know that this is NOT the case)
- Continue to attend upcoming public meetings and protest marches
- Encourage friends, family and neighbours to join campaign
- Join our Communications Network – (text Name and No. to 086 354 2242) to be kept up to date on campaign activities. Also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Ferbane.ie
Please download (right-click on the letter and select “Save As” or “Save picture as”) and print the letter below.
Sign it and send to the address and we will show;
IF ULSTER BANK LEAVE WEST-OFFALY,
WEST-OFFALY WILL LEAVE ULSTER BANK.
If you are interested in helping the group on this important matter that affects the entire region then text your name and number to